Born in Komotini, Greece (08/04/1966).
Married to Stergioula Papachristou and they have three children: Stylianos, Helena and Georgia
- June 2013 - present: Member of Parliament representing the costituency of Rodopi, Head of greek delegation on NATO Parliamentary Assembly (April 2014), Member of the Standing Parliamentary Committees on Foreign Affairs & Defence and Cultural & Educational Affairs and also member of the Special Standing Committee on European Affairs.
- June 2012 – June 2013: Minister of Interior
- June 2012: Re-elected as Member of the Parliament receiving the largest percentage of votes for the Constituency of Rodopi.
- May 2012: Re-elected as Member of the Parliament representing the Constituency of Rodopi
- Aug. 2010 - present: Head of Secretariat of Program of New Democracy Party
- Oct. 2009 - present: Member of the Greek Parliament,representing the Constituency of Rodopi for the New Democracy Party [Nea Democratia] (ND) – Member of the Standing Parliamentary Committee for Foreign Affairs and Defence
- Jan. 2009 - Oct. 2009: Minister of Transports and Communications
- Sept. 2007 - Jan. 2009: Minister of Education and Religious Affairs
- March 2004 - Sept. 2007: Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs for economic cooperation and Development
- 2000, 2004, 2007, 2009: Received the largest percentage of votes for the Constituency of Rodopi
- 1997 - 1999: Received the largest percentage of votes during the Fourth Party Congress, and was in turn elected to the Central Committee of the New Democracy Party and to the Political Council of the Party (New Democracy)
- 1996: He received the majority of electoral votes, but due to the electoral law, he was could not claim a Parliamentary seat in the Constituency of Rodopi
- 1994 - 1995: Elected President of the Youth Organization of the New Democracy Party (ONNED)
- 1994: included in the list of candidates for the European Parliamentary Elections by his party
- 1987 - 1995: Elected Member to the Central Committee of the New Democracy Party
- 1984 - 1989: President of DAP-NDFK (the student branch of the New Democracy Party) at Democritus University of Thrace, Member of the Central Assembly of DAP-NDFK, Elected student representative at Democritus University of Thrace administrative body and the Central Assembly of the National Student Union of Greece
- 1983 - 1984: Elected President of the Pupil’s Council of 1st Lyceum in Komotini
- Currently head of the Greek delegation of NATO P.A. Member of the Standing Parliamentary Committees on Foreign Affairs and Defence and on Cultural & Educational Affairs and also a member of the Special Standing Committee on European Affairs
- Currently President of the Greek-Japanese Friendship Parliamentary Committee and member of the Greek-Russian, Greek-American and Greek - Chinese Friendship Parliamentary Committees
- Representative of the Greek Parliament to the “Convention on the Future of Europe”
- Member of the NATO Parliamentary Assembly
- He frequently represents the New Democracy Party in Summits and conferences of the European People’s Party
- The youngest member of the Committee responsible for the Revision of the Greek Constitution (2000-2001)
- 1991 - 1995: University of Hamburg, Germany, Law School, PhD in Constitutional Law, thesis: «Grundrechte und Gesetzesvorbehalt in der griechischen Verfassung und im GG der Bundesrepublik Deutchland» Mauke Sohne Hamburg 1995 Band 4 [TRANSLATE ENGLISH]
- 1984 - 1989: Democritus University of Thrace, Komotini, Greece, Law Degree
- 2003: Scholarship awarded by the German Government in order to study the German Public Administration system. He received a similar grant to study the French Public Administration system
- 2002: Received a scholarship from the German Marshall Fund (GMF) of the USA (part of the Young Leader’s Program).
- 1985 - 1986: Awarded a scholarship from the Greek National Scholarship Foundation (IKY)
- Honorary Award (Golden Cross) presented by the President of the Federal Republic of Austria , (Βιέννη, 9 Μαΐου 2007)
- Grand Cross of the President of Hungary (Budapest March 27th 2007)
- Grand Cross of the President of the Federal Republic of Germany (Berlin, September 18th 2006)
- Grand Cross of HM the King of Denmark (May 24th 2006)
- Grand Cross presented by the Lord of Koroni and the King of Belgium (Βέλγιο, 4 Ιουλίου 2005)
- Honorary award by the Hellenic Mathematical Association (4 Απριλίου 2004)
- 2004 - present: practicing Lawyer, emphasis on Constitutional law
- 1997 - 2000: Researcher at the European Public Law Center (EPLC)1997-1999: Teaching at the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Law School, Masters’ Degree Programme in Public Law, as an EPLC fellow
- 1995 - 1996: Special Advisor to the President of the New Democracy Party
- 1991 - 2000: practicing Lawyer, emphasis on Constitutional law – Court of First Instance, Rodopi
- 1991 - 1994: Worked for the Foreign Ministry in the General Consulate of the Hellenic Republic of Greece in Hamburg, Germany
1994 - 1995 Artillery Corps
Activities & Interests
He has published the following books:
- “Grundrechte und Gesetzesvorbehalt in der griechischen Verfassung und im GG der Bundesrepublik Deutchland” Mauke Sohne Hamburg 1995 Band 4 [TRANSLATE ENGLISH]
- “Break the Silence” Anatolikos Press, 1998
- “No to the Dictatorship of the Mediocre – A proposal for the Revision of article 16 of the Constitution” Sideris Press, 2007
- “Active Citizens – Modern Parties” ” Sideris Press, 2010
- “Everything is a matter of Education” Minoas Press, 2012
- He has published a series of scientific articles in Greece and abroad and has presented papers in numerous international conferences.
- He is a member of the Association of Greek Constitution Law Experts, of the Greek-German Union of Jurists and of the Pan-European Union for Law-Making.
- He is President of “Pandektis” – Omnibous volume (pandect), an Association of Greek Jurists for Democracy and Law-Making.